Wednesday, December 21, 2005

mastering the skills of proper anticipation

The christmas (or more technically, advent) season can teach a whole lot of things to a whole lot of people. For instance, that guy I saw at target last week who was freaking out because he thought the stcking hanger was twenty cents cheaper than it rang up at the register could learn a little patience and civility. But for those of you who haven't yet found a way to benefit in your character development from the holiday season, let me offer a possibility, one that's certainly been teaching me.

One valuable life skills you can master in this season is the skill of properly anticipating. The holiday's offer opportunities aplenty for developing this attribute...I'm currently anticipating a trip to california, time with family, a package from my brother, a paycheck, a particular dinner that my wife's family enjoys, and of course the xbox 360 that I wrote about earlier, and am still waiting for. I'll admit this last one is proving very difficult.

Anyways, the point is that this season provides lots of opportuinites to wait, both for events and in places like the line at Target. And in such a wait-fest, much of which is beyond our control, iwe have the chance to shape the right kinds of attitude towards all kinds of things we have to wait on n the rest of our lives. It also makes it quite obvious to all the people around us, if not ourselves, how well or poorly developed our skills are at this point in our lives.

So, check yourself, and have a merry, character forming christmas...in a few days, that is.

6 comments:

thewalrus said...

Well, let's see, one thing I'm anticipating is you actually responding to my comments... :)

Keith Brenton said...

Me? I'm anticipating your return, and more insights about the Table. The material you wrote for our church's January study is stellar. It's a blessing to work with you!

Anonymous said...

i was looking back at your post about the 360 and i gotta say an ibox sounds pretty snazzy, maybe some day

thewalrus said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm anticipating your FIRST POST FOR 2006!!!

Darren K. said...

so I decided to do the blog thing

I thought about you as I wrote up some memories about the host city for this year's olympics

take care, brother

Anonymous said...

eat poop

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items