Monday, May 09, 2005

Sweet Home Indeed

I'm back this week from a good round of travel to Alabama, the stompin' grounds of my youth.

It all began last Tuesday with the wonderful feeling of handing in my final exam. I love the freedom that comes with that...I can read and study anything I want now without feeling guilty that I'm neglecting the required academic work. Anytime during the semester that I steel away with a novel or some random book I feel like I'm cheating on my class. Now, though, the freedom of that bit of time is great. Any ideas what I should pick up?

After pausing to play Bud Hill in Memphis, I made the run on down to Flo-town, getting home in time to hang out with the family. These days the family also includes a faster brother who's been with my family for nearly a year, and who will most likely be adopted into our family this summer. He's a cool kid, and I really do love it any time I get to hang out with him (and I think he does too.) It's really a neat thing to watch my parents get involved again with the process of parenting. It's so different to watch from the outside, and to see that they really are pretty awesome parents. Yesterday I kept thinking about my Mom, and about how proud I am of her. Dad too, I really was blessed by their ministry of parenting. they are kind of crazy though, and anybody who knows them can attest to that zaniness.

Wednesday, the brothers Cooper and I spoke for the kids out at Mars Hill, where we all did our time in high school. Can I just say that I was extremely impressed with that group of kids? I mean, for real this is a stinkin' good group of students. they treat each other well, they play nice, and I was just really impressed. Props to the Hill, I think they're in a good place. I also got to play volleyball, too. I love to play volleyball. I love it, I love it, I love it!

Okay, so after we finished at the Hill, we went out to old Veterans park to check out the disc golf course there in Florence. It rocked, even though they have some wicked basket placements, some that are just downright mean. I think I was 200 over par. Next time I'm back home we're going to work on that.

After some hang out time with my grandparents, I headed on down to birmingham for the rest of the week. my little bro Hovie is in med school there, and he took me ona tour of some of the coolest places to eat in the old steel town. I think the best thing I ate may have been the ham, goat cheese, and fried green tomatoe sandwhich at franklin's. I know, ti doen't sound like much, but it was pretty much awesome. It made me want to start a restaurant just so I can serve that one food.

So, Alabama has a list of the top 100 foods you shuold eat when you're in the state. I think that's where I want to wrap up my blog today. Anybody have some must eats for the places you live? I'd like to put totgether a little checklist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh steven, what a funny guy
i'm simply giddy that you found me (and were able to partake in recounting of my most comical mishap)
and i think it's just downright sweet that your parents have a foster child
if your family is anything like you, he doesn't know how blessed he is! :o)

Unknown said...

Welcome Back, Darth Hovater...the bloggosphere just ain't been the same for me since I last read of your adventures (which was the Disc-overy) post.

Anyway, if you ever make it to Abilene, Joe Allen's BBQ is a must-eat place, but not for the BBQ. You order your steak by thickness, and they cut it and cook it fresh. Very cool place. Harold's BBQ is another great place...one of the only places in Abi where you can get pork sandwiches, which is what we all know God intended pork to be.

There's also La Popular, which is a little bakery/restaurant, which I love because Mon and Wed. are $1 burrito days.

And of course we have the chain type places, Abuelo's, Carino's, Olive Garden, etc...but those are boring. Come down sometime and I'll take you to Joe Allens...I'm sure he'd be a big fan of the OSEA.


~Greg

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items