Thursday, June 23, 2005

welcome back (humming along to mase)

Okay friends, I've been more active on your blogs than on my own lately, but the time has come for a little electronic ink to spill on this page.

A flurry of activity these days...the summer speeds up for this professsion of mine, as the school cages have opened and I get to spend a bit more time with our students. Some of you guys have already commented on the fun had at Uplift this year, and I have to say it really was one of my favortie years, probably since 2000, and even edged that year out, I think. What was particularly significant was the way our kids took care of each other, and really encouraged each other this time. That made such a difference, and I really see turns taking place in people's lives, little and big changes. I see disciples treating people better, being more grateful for little things, celebrating joy with each other, and making space for others in their lives. Less selfishness, muy bueno. hearing from other YM's, counselors, and kids that oru kids were really leading and participating in the groups, classes, etc, made me feel proud of you guys, so props to you guys who stumble through this site from time to time, and to those who don't.

Always on my mind these days: what does it mean to follow Jesus, to be a disciple? I need to spend more time at this simplest level, at this core. following, imitating, learning from Jesus. And should I understand the church as the filter through which this comes, or an agent of the teaching, leading, and demonstrative christ? What kind of ecclesiology can we have based on the simple practice of discipleship? could one with this type of focus do a better job of connecting the gospels with the epistles? What do the ethical, doctrinal admonitions of Paul have to do with the Teacher and his band of followers?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i can judge cause ive never been to uplift before, but the general concensous is that this year was different somehow. i am really glad i was apart of it

Keith Brenton said...

I'm sorry; you've passed your quota for the number of questions allowed in a single post.

Only I am permitted this many.

And if you come up with any insightful answers, you must never never never post them lest they spread and enlighten everyone.

Anonymous said...

hey isnt mase a rapper?

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items