Wednesday, June 01, 2005

trust

My dear friend cassandra got me thinking about trust last night, and any feedback you can provide is welcome...trying to get my brain around this again, because she was making me think of things I haven't mulled over in a while.

How do you think about trust? Is it something you do, like a skill? Like I'm either good at trusting or bad at it? Or is it more dependent on who I'm around...like if I always hang out with liars I will never trust, but in other situations I would find it easier? Or is it strictly a relational term, and dependent on both parties to some extent?

It always struck me as weird that I corinthians 13 says that love "always trusts"...and this is prescribed as appropriate human behavior!?! Don't we call that being naive? But on the other hand, I want to be the best at loving people, and I think part of that is learning to trust pretty relentlessly. Foolish?


a little help?

(cass: thanks for stirring my thoughts, but most of all, thanks for the...well, the trust.)

4 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

Trust is a gift, in my experience. You give it to others; they give it to you. Or not. You can do everything in your power to earn it, but it still must be given.

Christians are called on to give freely. We're also encouraged to be as wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

Maybe what we're called to do more often is to say, "I have a feeling you're going to betray my trust like you have before. But you need it more than I need my security. Because my trust is in God."

Jesse Faris said...

wish i had something profound to say about trust...no such luck tonight. just wanted to let you know that i am thoroughly enjoying your blog. really. and i'm glad you bugged me for such a long time to start reading it. it was worth it.

and tell your wife to post something soon or else.

Unknown said...

It is a characteristic...like strength, or intelligence, or beauty...something that is readily identifiable, but not always define-able.

Anonymous said...

i say trust is kind of congruent to grace. in other words it's something we're called to give and like you said the amount may depend on the relationship or one's ability to give trust. apparently trust is pretty complicated.

yes, i did read the intro to fight club and i also finished it yesterday and loved it. and you're right about the movie there are some scenes that are verbatim, but i'm not a big fan of the way the movie ends. i probably will go on to read more of his stuff. he's a pretty interesting guy.

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items