Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Bookstore Story

So this past weekend Kelly and I took our friend Jordan, who's visiting with us from Fresno, to Memphis for a day of (yawn) shopping. while at the the mall, I had already had my fill of looking at T-shirts and shorts and such, so I took off for the bookstore in the mall, and began reading a book about drawing (thanks Dan Pink), even though I have almost no ability to draw as it is now. The only place to sit I could find was a stool in the children's section, so I went over there and sat down. At some point, Kelly and Jordan came in, and we chatted (she said she had tried to call, but I didn't hear it) and they decided they still had another store they wanted to check out. I opted on hanging out in the bookstore some more, so we arranged to meet up later, and they left.

After a few minutes, I got up to look for a different book, and while up I realized I didn't have my phone in my pocket, so I began to walk back over to the kids section, assuming I left it near the stool. While on the way back there, I passed a young girl (about age 13) and her little brother, and as I passed, her backpack began emitting the sound of the Alabama fight song. we turned to look at each other, and my first thought was something like "Hey, she has something in her backpack that plays the fight song". that was substituted for "she has my cell phone in her backpack" as I realized that the coincidence was a little much that she had something that happened to sound just like my ring tone. (we weren't in Tuscaloosa, after all!) I at first asked her if she had seen my cell phone, then changed that to "did you pick up my cell phone?" She asked if it was silver, and I was like, "yes, and it's ringing". she had the most busted look on her face ever, and reached into her backpack and pulled out my phone. Pretty fortunate that Shannon had chosen that random time to try to call!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet... you having a blog is probably the best idea ever. I look forward to reading more.

And the story is hilarious, but not quite as funny as when u told it in that weird voice Sunday morning... that was perfect.


-JP

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items