Tuesday, August 09, 2005

back in the saddle again

Okay, that's it folks, the wild ride we call summer is drawing to a close, and that means my life becomes somewhat normal again. Bring on the routines! all the normal backdrops that put my life in context have been sorely missed, and I'm ready for their return.

One of those routines is blogging, so here I will continue to raise my ebenezer, and delightfully think with my fingers.

A couple of days ago I listened to the Nirvana Nevermind album in its entirity, with a great deal of inentionality...not doing anything else but listening. I think I want to do it again, but with a pecil in myhand or keyboard under my fingers, just to think through the music. so much anger, confusion in that music. and it's a part of me? What an ineresting person I am. I fascinate myself.

I think I'm regaining curiosity about a lof of differnt things, these days. I find myself glued to my fishtank, or to a chair where I can watch a line of ants for a while, just filled with fascination. and I hope it won't offend any of my dear students ho read this, but Ihave to say that one reason I love my job is because I get to "watch" adolescents grow, change, talk with their friends, eat, play, and just live. I really think that teenagers are fascinating beings, just so darn interesting. the way they think intrigues me, and just the way that they behave...how terrific!

4 comments:

khovater said...

Can I get a big fat "Oh Yea!!!" for normal routines!!! Good to have you home punk!

Unknown said...

Ahh routines. yes, that reminds me of the a joke I know. have we started the repetative jokes again?

Anonymous said...

For anyone else it might seem vain or conceited for them to say that they're fascinated with themselves. I mean, you must be full of yourself, right? But I believe that special exception should be granted to one, Steven Hovater, a truly fascinating being.

What makes him fascinating, you may ask. Let me run down just a few things that I've come to notice over the years.

#1 Have you ever known anyone else as carefree and spontaneous as Steven. Anything could happen at any instant. He could start jumping up and down, or making new sounds, or finding a new place on his body to grow fat patches of hair. Would you want to miss that?

#2 Have you ever noticed that Steven is late to everything? And it's not because he's necessarily busy or stressed, but because his mind gets so easily sidetracked by seemingly miniscule events. Case in point: if you ever are waiting on Steven to meet and he has to go to the grocery store first, you might as well tack on another hour to the designated meeting time. Steven loves food, and likes to see what's new. Just in the meat section alone, Steven could spend a good helping of time. And if there's a talkative butcher that likes to share ideas, Steven would be willing free up his whole day for that kind of conversation. It's fascinating!!

#3 Steven loves people, and loves just about hobby that someone else loves. That's what makes him such an incredible youth minister. Whether it's sports, card games, video games, collecting, blogging, trivia, whatever, Steven's interested in it. He's easily fascinated himself which lies at the heart of his own intrigue.

Steven is a good man and a close friend. He's a fascinating study, and a joy to talk to. If you want to try him out for yourself, just make an appointment, but specify that you'd rather he didn't stop off by the grocery store, or any sporting goods outlet.

This is my first comment on a blog ever, and I hope I did it right.

Chad Tappe

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment about Steven's fascination with himself, but after Tappe's novella, anything that can be said already has.

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items