Thursday, August 11, 2005

Vonnegut and Bama

Last night I finished Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slaughterhouse 5, a really funny anti-war polemic about the Dresden bombing in WWII. It's a really witty book with some pretty stout power behind it. Vonnegut uses the same kind of repeition that I like in Chuck Palahniuk's novels.

In other news, I keep being drawn to various news sources (www.al.com) for whatever scrap news I read on the upcoming college football season. It makes me nervous to read some of this stuff, just because I can feel the emotional pull of it. I think Bama will be fine, but you just never know until the ball gets kicked over the field that first time. I think that Croyle staying healthy could give us a great chance at the west title, but that less is pinned on him than it was last year, regardless. the new O-line makes me a bit nervous...so much of what they do changes the game, and I think I'd almost rather have a rock solid O-line than just about anything else. All in all, though, I think they'll be fine, if they can use those early games and get some quick experience. South Carolina will open conference play for us, and that's usch a wild card with spurrior out there. Still, I can't imagine that they'll be ready yet, with all the off the field problems.

Of course, I'm reasonably confident that Arkansas is going to suck, and that makes me feel better. At least in sports the tendency to define ourselves against others can probably go unchecked.

2 comments:

thewalrus said...

Man, I think you just fell victim to the latest automatic blogger. I'll make sure I freshen up on florida divorce law, just in case.

I saw Palahniuk's new book the other day which looked really intriguing.

We'll see how the Bama stuff goes. We just have to beat Auburn this year. And Tennessee. And LSU. And Arkansas. And definitely South Carolina.

Anonymous said...

Palahniuk has a new book? Do tell.

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items