Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ash Wednesday Report

Okay, as a part of a pretty non-liturgical church, I don't have any kind of normative lenten expectations. Still though, like many evangelicals in this situation, this time of year affords an opportunity to dabble in the church calendar by participating in some sort of personal fast.

Every year I approach lent in pretty much the same way, eagerly anticipating the chance to embark on a temporary fit of discipline, particularly one with a little more spiritual flavor than your typical new years resolution. Every year I have trouble knowing exactly what to give up, though, so I spend most of Ash Wednesday trying to make up my mind. This is a great opportunity for the weakness of my flesh to show itself.

I always have dozens of ideas of things I could fast from during lent. The problem is that almost all of them require virtually no sacrifice whatsoever, and thus seem to be unfit. I'm trying to have a little sense of humor about this, even though it really is silly that I think of some of these things. Anyways, in recognition of my own weakness and in a little bit of humor, I think I'm going to submit a list of things that I've thought about giving up for lent.

10. sodas
9. political conversation
8. physical labor
7. salad
6. dancing
5. sermon criticism
4. sandals
3. x-Box
2. the radio in my car
1. lunch.

Really biting sacrifices, eh? I feel so embarrassed when I think of what this season really represents.

6 comments:

khovater said...

My vote is for the x-box!

Anonymous said...

Makes me think about how little we are actually willing to sacrifice when it comes down to it. Shows you how great God's sacrifice truly was. If we aren't even willing to give up the little things, how incredible is it that He was willing to give up His only son?
Oh, and about that song... I will sing it to you when I get my voice back. Right now it just kinds of squeaks and cracks like when you run over a cat with your car... not that I have done that or anything. ;-) j/k, I really haven't.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I forgot to sign my name in the above comment.
*clears throat*
-Holly (www.xanga.com/daughteraboverubies)

Unknown said...

Wow...you never know who is going to turn up in the Bloggosphere, eh?!?

I was quite surprised to see your name come up in the comments on my little slice of the blog pie, but quite pleased. It's always cool to find more blogs to read, i.e., more ways to waste time at work. I'll wait til tomorrow morning at my "day job" to do some catching up on your writings, because A) reading blogs is better than data-entry, and B) I am now forced into the real of narrowband dial-up, after a year or more of cable internet. The internet just ain't so cool at 35 mph!

Anyway, I was trying to explain WUGS and KOGS to someone the other day, and while intrigued, I just don't think I was able to convey the awesomeness of the event. Perhaps there is a post somewhere in here covering the liturgy, the rituals involved, that I could point people to in order to receive a fuller explanation.

Peace out homey,
Greg KB

JAW said...

Steve,

Ah, it's good to find another person who spends far too much time online doodling about in information never-never land. Glad to find your blog - I'll bookmark it.

God bless.

Keith Brenton said...

I went with #10, by coincidence, this year. It may not be much of a sacrifice, true - but that's not the point. When I had iced tea at dinner last night (I don't really like iced tea very much) and my kids noticed, I explained that I'm giving up soft drinks for Lent. To the inevitable "Why?" I explained that every time I get a really strong craving for Mountain Dew I'm going to pray. It will help me remember that everything I want and everything I need comes from God, and I should thank Him.

And, in the spirit of Isaiah 58:6, every coin that I don't put in a Coke machine for the next 40 days goes into my collection can for Riley's Warriors to help people with special-needs kids get a free day off every once in a while from all that intensive care they must provide.

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items