Sunday, February 13, 2005

OSEA

When I was in school at Harding my friends and I also had this weird thing going on that involved a lot of tradition and community. It all revolved around grilling out, and in particular these two events. We called ourselves the OSEA, (Old School Eating Association) and the two events were KOGS (Kick-Off of the Grilling Season) and WUGS. We made up all kinds of rules,lingo, and rituals, almost a little subculture. It started off as a little grillout we were having in my backyard right off campus, and then in a couple of years we having like 400 people show up and moved over to a little park that was close by. It was totally a blast, and I still meet people and have them say things like "I think I came to some grill-out you had one time." It was hilarious how people got into the rules and all. For instance, our motto was "if you need condiments, you need another burger." So we would forbid people from bringing any kind of condiments. Every once in a while, somebody would playfully bring a bottle of ketchup or something, and when they would pull it out, everyone would gasp and look horrified, until somebody snatched it away, and disposed of the vile condiment. Or they would have a rookie come up and ask where the mustard was, in which case we got everyone's attention, and began the phrase so that everyone could finish it. There was really nothing like hearing a couple of hundred people say, "...you need another burger" to some poor unsuspecting rookie.

What great fun.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I remember almost all of the rituals and sacred readings. I have even brought a few people in Abilene into the inner sanctum that is an unadulterated Dale's Sauce burger. People here don't usually drink their tea with sugar sludge on the bottom, but I'm working on it. Even to this day, when I make hamburgers, I have to mix up Sara's first, then I get to crumble the Saltines into the meat, and dribble the salty goodness of Dale's. She won't even let our burgers touch on the grill, btu she shall not cause me to swerve from my chosen path. Thank for the memories, Steve.

2coopers said...

THE BIG 3...Beef, Pork, and Chicken....in that order....ah yes, I remember it well. What started out as just a few guys skipping classes all day long turned into one of the most celebrated traditions in my collegiate career. Let us not forget the offspring of this event....Y2T...but that is for another post. Back to the Big 3...you really have nothing in the KOGS/WUGS tradition unless the Big 3 are recognized, identified, prepared (correctly) and consumed. Please note that there can be no additions or subtractions to the Big 3 or those additions and subtractions will be considered false meat, or that is, meat that is unholy and inconsumable. So now that the Big 3 have been recognized and identified, I suggest that the same date be set again this year and we begin the preparation which will lead to the consumption of the Big 3.

Wouldn't Senior Rendezvous be proud?
Wouldn't Papa Bishop wear a huge grin?
Wouldn't tickle a rib?
Wouldn't we all like a little Big 3???

Unknown said...

Man, if there were to be a WUGS or KOGS somewhere in the near future, perhaps a 5-year anniversary of Y2T, it would be mighty hard to stay away. Would it be hosted in a new, contemporary, contextualized place, or would Hardin park (or the backyard of the purple-walled apartment) be invaded en masse?

I think it would be a good tradition to hand down to the next generation of Harding attendees!

Shannon said...

Well Hovater, I concede to your world of blogging for a moment, to lay two cents into your sub-culture coffers.

I must confess I need a little more grill action in my life. The time of the OSEA reminds me of the time of the Judges: when there are no leaders, the nation is lead away. We did a great job of spreading the dale's, a poor job of raising up young men to keep the flame. With our seminary training we should have known (thank you south korean church growth guru) that cells grow through division, not growth. We need more flames! Are there any amongst us who will rise us out of the valley?

Anonymous said...

I was one of the 400 faces fortunate enough to partake of the Big 3. To this day the phrase, "If you need condiments, you need another burger" is burned into my memory. I also remember an apron-clad Jeremy Anderson standing on a cooler waving a spatula around shouting something to the effect of, "While OSEA is a non-profit organization, we would also like to remain a non-debt organization. Please donate!" That guy is hilarious.

Man, now I'm hungry.

Unknown said...

That guy is still hilarious, Aaron!
I remember this conversation... it's the same every year. SC, I'm happy to annouce that Dinah has an apron already. This year will be a great season of training and instruction for my little one.

Hey, where's Hovie?

stevepvc said...

Hovie has been contacted at his home in birmingham Alabama, where he is learning how to be a doctor.

Shannon said...

We'll need a doctor.

Shannon said...

We'll need a doctor.

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items