Wednesday, February 16, 2005

VH-Day

Kelly and I had to postpone our Valentines day celebration until last night due to the weekly pilgrimage to Memphis. So last evening we had dinner and a movie, and all kinds of cuddling.

I have some recommendations that have been building up, and the movie last night was the last straw, so here they are:

Recommendation One, category: film.
Hitch
This is what Kelly and I saw last night, and I laughed my face off. This is the romantic comedy movie done up to the nines. The romance is good, the comedy is very good, and every facet of the movie is in my opinion well done. I think the sucker even has something to say, and the movie doesn't revolve around casual sex. I think the casting, down to all the minor characters, is perfect. It's well written and pretty much a sure bet for the ladies. I really am missing a face now.

Recommendation Two, category: fiction.
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Series)
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Series)


Okay, so I've read more and more fiction over the past three years, and I want to recommend to you a set of books that might not normally get your attention. I would recommend to you the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. the series is basically an epic story that spans seven volumes. It's a tale that doesn't fit into the horror nitch, even though there are times when it gives me the willies. It's also rough, so don't jump in thinking its G rated. the story and characters move me though, and the battlelines between good and evil are well drawn, ambiguities not avoided. If you get a chance and are llking for some fiction, check out the first volume, The Gunslinger (link on the left) and see if it grabs you. All but the last two are available in paperback, and unless you fly through them in the next few weeks, the sixth one will become available in April. the storyline follows a characater named Roland who is a gunslinger, a sort of combination between a wild west sheriff and a knight from camelot. the series tells of his quest for the Dark Tower, a mysterious entity that Roland will seek as long as he hsa breath. Other characters join him and interfere with his progress, but still the tower looms. the series is more Lord of the Rings than it is Carrie, but I have a whole lot of respect for King's craft.

I've got two other recomendations, but this post is long in length and perhaps in boredom already, so I'll save those for later.

1 comment:

thewalrus said...

stevenpvc,

i had no idea you were into the Dark Tower series. I just finished the first one myself as my friend Eric from work (yes, the one from Gary) has threatened to harm me if I don't read them. I look forward to continuing and discussing them further.

thewalrus

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items