Monday, February 07, 2005

Substitute blog

Today I'm blogging from a pretty unique location, among some new friends. I'm substitute teaching for high schol english, which is a great way to make new friends. Except last time I made a new friend I forgot her name. It's Kim, I now know since she's in my class today, too. Everytime I'm here I meet her again, then I forget her name, which is very bad for friendship. She's either terribly offended, or just used to it, which can't be good for her self confidence. I think she has good self esteem, anyways. She denies it though, which makes me feel worse.

Asha is another new friend that it appears I've met repeatedly. Kaent didn't seem sure, but I think he was just being nice.

Substitute teaching is the best. Really it boils down to hanging out with students all day as they do various forms of busy work, or play games...er...build hand eye coordination. It's funny to watch the students react to the assignments. Different classes react so differently to the exact same set of instructions. Some take them ultra seriously, and hurry through them, and some just sit there and do absolutely nothing. Most of the students today have been pretty good about getting through their work, but the variance is still pretty interesting to watch. The main function of the substitute teacher is to man the holding tank and make sure the students don't escape, and I feel as though I'm fulfilling that obligation. I even feel like they're getting some work done, so hoorah for being a part of the educational process. Before I passed out the worksheets for the class I'm in now I gave a fine motivational speech about how valkuble their education is and how they had a chance to be active in their own learning processes. The kids seemed to enjoy it.

Oh yeah, my Super bowl pick. I was very disappointed at the last touchdown by the Eagles. It looked like my 10 point prediction was going to be dead on up until that last TD. Overall, I thought it was a great game, and one of the best football games I watched all year. Congrats to the Pats!


1 comment:

Keith Brenton said...

And the chicken chili was great. So was the praise devotional by the single guys, in whose class I got to be a substitute teacher last fall!

Twitter Updates

Steven's shared items